Lawrence N. Mullman is a Partner in our New York office. He works closely with individual lateral partners as well as entire practice groups, analyzing potential opportunities and transitioning them from their current law firms to new law firms with more suitable platforms. Larry has been a legal recruiter for more than 15 years, following successful careers in law and investment banking. He joined Major, Lindsey & Africa in 2005 and has held leadership positions since 2006. Most recently, he was the Global Leader of the Law Firm Practice and, prior to serving in that role, was the Global Leader of the Partner Practice Group.
While focusing principally on the New York and Chicago markets, Larry has done recruiting around the world. He has placed numerous individual partners and practice groups in local, regional, national and international law firms throughout the U.S. Larry also works with prominent federal and state court judges and high ranking government officials transitioning to private practice.
Larry is regularly quoted in legal publications and has been recognized by Lawdragon.com as one of the "100 Legal Consultants You Need to Know."
Prior to legal recruiting, Larry practiced law in Manhattan for more than 20 years and was a partner in several prominent law firms. He took a brief hiatus from the law in the mid-1980s to become a managing director at Drexel Burnham Lambert, Inc.
"Larry is among the best partner recruiters we work with. In addition to having an excellent knowledge of law firm practice and economics and various geographic markets, he knows the major players. He thinks outside the box and is innovative not just with respect to identifying individual laterals and groups suited to our firm, but in the way he approaches bigger projects involving new office openings, acquisitions and mergers. I thoroughly enjoy working with him both professionally and personally."
Michael B. Solow, Esq.
Firm Managing Partner, Kaye Scholer, LLP
"Larry Mullman has a unique skill for a legal recruiter. Put simply, Larry is a great listener. He listens and learns about his clients' strengths so he can explain them to potential candidates. He listens to a candidate's desires so he can match them with a firm's strength. As a result, Larry's candidates are most likely to be of interest to his clients and have a high success rate once joining their new firm. He also has a great sense of humor. What more can you ask from your legal recruiter?"
Reed D. Auerbach
Partner, Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP (formerly Partner and Chair of Structured Transactions Group, Bingham McCutchen LLP)
"Larry is as good as it gets. He understands his clients' business and profit strategies, has an unparalled grasp of the market and is a delight to work with. I recommend him without qualification."
Managing Partner, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP
Larry's clients comprise most of the most prominent law firms in the world, including:
- Alston & Bird
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
- Debevoise & Plimpton
- Kaye Scholer
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel
- Mayer Brown
- Latham & Watkins
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison
- Robins Kaplan
- Sidley Austin
- Sullivan & Cromwell
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winston & Strawn
Larry is known particularly for his work with international law firms in implementing law firm mergers, opening offices in and outside the U.S. (including, most recently, the opening of new offices in Hong Kong and Beijing for U.S.-based firms) and moving practice groups. Some of his transactions involving mergers, office openings and practice group placements include:
- Merger of a 75+ attorney Chicago-based general practice firm with an international firm.
- Merger of a 35+ attorney New York-based general practice firm with an international firm.
- Merger of a 25+ attorney New York-based maritime firm with a national firm.
- Opening of the Beijing office for a U.S-based international firm.
- Opening of the Hong Kong office for a U.S-based international firm.
- Opening of the Chicago office for an international firm.
- Opening of the Charlotte office for an international firm.
- Opening of the New York office for a national firm.
- Placement of a 20 attorney structured finance group in an international firm.
- Placement of a 15 attorney securities litigation group in an international firm.
- Placement of a 12 attorney general commercial litigation group in an international firm.
- Placement of a 12 attorney tax controversy group in an international firm.
- Placement of an 8 attorney international arbitration group in an international firm.
- Placement of an 8 attorney white collar/securities enforcement group in an international firm.
- Placement of the former governor of New York and his chief of staff in an international law firm.
Hofstra Law School: J.D., with highest distinction
Hofstra Law Review, Editor
Union College: B.S., cum laude