I have spent the past 25 years counseling successful partners on how to advance their careers and top law firms on how to strengthen their teams, in strategic and thoughtful ways. I bring intelligence, intensity and, above all, integrity to the process as "counsel to the deal." I want both sides to be so delighted with the result that they will continue to refer their friends, colleagues and loved ones to me.
Jon Lindsey is the New York founding partner of Major, Lindsey & Africa, voted the "Best Legal Recruiter" by the readers of the National Law Journal, "Best Legal Search Firm in the United States" in Worldlaw Business magazine's survey of the AmLaw 100 and "in a league apart" from other legal recruiters by The American Lawyer. He was the subject of an extensive profile in Of Counsel magazine and (together with four of his MLA partners) was among the 18 recruiters named in LawDragon's "100 Legal Consultants You Need to Know." He views his role as helping highly successful professionals choose the path that will best advance their careers and maximize their happiness. He seeks to provide outstanding service to the partners and law firms he works with, and to do so with integrity, intelligence, discretion and professionalism. As the former Global Co-Chair of our Partner Practice Group, Jon helped to set strategy and coordinate the partner practice for the firm's 20+ domestic and international offices.
After clerking for the Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, Jon practiced with Debevoise & Plimpton, as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York, and as Deputy Counsel to the Department of City Planning and Counsel to the Chairman of New York City's Planning Commission.
Jon is the co-author of "Managing People In Today's Law Firm" (Quorum Books, 1995) and the 2014 MLA Lateral Partner Satisfaction Survey. He is the author of the 2007 and 1997 lateral partner surveys and numerous articles for The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Magazine, The National Law Journal, New York Law Journal, International Financial Law Review and others. He has been invited to speak by the American Management Association, the Federal Bar Council, the Association of General Counsel, PLI and others, on topics ranging from innovative law firm retention and partner compensation policies to best practices in staffing the global law department.
Over more than two decades, Jon has placed scores of partners and practice groups at many of the world's top law firms (ranging from global powerhouses such as Paul Weiss, Wachtell Lipton, Milbank Tweed, Gibson Dunn, and Freshfields, to highly profitable three-partner boutiques), conducted successful general counsel searches for corporations around the U.S. and assisted firms in numerous merger and branch office acquisitions. Because of his own government service (as an AUSA and with the New York City Planning Commission), Jon also devotes a material portion of his practice to assisting senior, high-level lawyers transition from public service back to private practice.
Representative speaking engagements include:
- 2015: Sandpiper symposium on law firm consolidation
- 2015: New York Legal Marketing Association Panel on Lateral Integration
- 2014: Sandpiper LEADING Law Firms Conference
- 2014: Columbia Law School Webinar: Highlights from Lateral Partner Satisfaction Survey
- 2013: Law Firm Leaders Conference, Women in Law Empowerment Forum
- 2012: Webinar: Look Before You Leap - Due Diligence in Law Firm Moves and Mergers
- 2012: NY Legal Market Forum, New Economic Paradigm for Talent, Profits, Laterals, Mergers
- 2012: Best Lawyers Advisory Board, Changing Roles and Recruitment of the GC and Lateral Partner
- 2011: West LegalEd Webinar, Innovative Trends in Lateral Lawyer Selection and Integration
- 2011 and 2009: New York City Bar Association, Lawyers in Transition
- 2011: Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF)
- 2010: PLI Law Firm Leadership and Management Institute
- 2008: ACI Lateral Hiring and Integration Forum
- 2008: NY Inn of Court: The Changing Law Firm and Career Development
- 2007 and 2006: Hildebrandt Institute Partner Compensation Workshop
- 2006: PLI Law Firm General Counsel Forum
- 2006 and 2005: American Lawyer Law Firm Liability Forum
- 2005: American Lawyer Law Firm Partner Compensation Forum
- 2002: NY State Bar Association, Finding the Right Recruiter
- 2001 American Management Association: Maximizing the Relationship With Recruiters
Columbia Law School: J.D.
Managing Editor of the Columbia Law Review
Three-time Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
University International Fellow
Wesleyan University: B.A., with honors
American Lawyer Media's Law Firm Partnership and Benefits Report, Board of Editors
George Jackson Academy, an independent, need-blind middle school for boys from low-income families, Trustee and member of the Executive Committee
The Spence School, Board of Trustees (2001–2011), Chair of the Long Range Planning Committee, Member of the Executive Committee
Citizens Budget Commission of the City of New York, Former Trustee Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Former Member of the Small Law Firm Management Committee
New York Law School, Former Adjunct Professor
Trinity School's Alumni Society, Former Executive Committee Member