As one of the first legal recruiters in the Tokyo market, I have had the privilege to assist, advise and place many of the leading in-house lawyers in Japan since 2005. Based on the concepts of trust, confidentiality, professionalism and partnership, I have worked closely with a multitude of Japanese and foreign companies on a vast array of complex searches. The ability to provide honest, unbiased and relevant advice and solutions is what motivates me the most and makes what I do so enjoyable.
Amir Khan, a Managing Consultant in our In-House Practice Group, specializes in the placement of general counsel and in-house lawyers at all levels and industries in Japan. Whether a first time entrant into the Japanese market or a well-established multinational or Japanese company, Amir has successfully advised and partnered with his clients to find the correct match for their individual needs.
In addition to a passion for a variety of sports, he is a strong believer in social contribution and volunteers for an animal welfare charity and the NPO 501st Legion.
With 13 years of experience working in the legal recruitment industry in Japan, Amir was one of the first legally qualified recruiters in the market. Prior to joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, Amir founded and headed the Japan office of legal recruitment firm Law Alliance overseeing both in-house and private practice senior searches. His vast experience also includes serving as the exclusive advisor on Japan to India`s largest law firm, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas. In that role, he assisted the firm in developing its footprint throughout the Kanto and Kansai regions.
Since arriving in Japan in 2005, Amir has witnessed dramatic changes to the legal market -- both through law school reforms and the impact of the global financial crisis. He has advised his candidates and clients on managing these challenges to gain a reputation of reliability, professionalism and trust. He has conducted several presentations and lectures at law schools and legal events on recruitment best practices, career enhancement and diversity.
Amir began his career as a solicitor for a boutique firm in central London specializing in Real Estate.
General Counsel & Senior In-House Counsel – Apple, Lenovo, Hewlett Packard, LVMH, Polo, PWC, Fedex, Veolia Environmental, AIG, Adobe, Dell, Accenture, Amazon, Pioneer, Aozora Bank, and MHI, among others.
- Presentation on legal recruitment industry and legal labour force changes – ALB In-house Summit 2012
- Presentation on legal career path and maximizing potential – Temple University Japan 2011
- Presentation on face of legal sector change within Japan and impact on hiring trends – ALB In-house Summit 2007
- Keio University: Leadership Program Certificate
- Westminster University: LPC
- Queen Mary University: L.LB
- Royal Holloway, University of London: B.Sc., Management & Economics
- The Law Society E&W
- American Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chair – Young Professionals Group
- American Chamber of Commerce, Charity Ball Committee
- Queen Mary London University, Japan Alumni committee
- 501st Legion, Japan Garrison Charity Representative
- Citizens for Animal Protection Ibaraki Network, Volunteer