Jeff Liebster is a Partner with our Partner Practice Group in New York. He is a zealous advocate for both candidates and firms, which is evident in his track record of successful partner placements with many of the top law firms in the world.
Jeff's practice is principally referral-based, in large part due to the fact that his relationships are far reaching and extend well beyond the effective date of any combination or move. His clients will attest to his continuing commitment to advising on successful business development and integration issues. Candidates look to Jeff as a long-term strategic career counselor—not only at a time when they are considering an imminent move.
Jeff was very active in athletics while at the University of Michigan and in high school at Fieldston. He is now part of the Michigan Football Alumni Network (aka Team Big House) and mentors several current and recent players about life after football.
He and his wife spend as much time as possible with their married daughters and newly arrived granddaughter. Their oldest is a Northwestern University graduate with an advanced degree in art history from NYU. Following a four-year stint at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, she is now oversees the web presence as product manager for Architectural Digest magazine. Jeff's other daughter has a BA in Film and Studio Art from the University of Vermont and a master's in Higher Education Administration from Vanderbilt University's Peabody School. She is currently managing the talent acquisition team at TNTP, a non-profit dedicated to improving the quality of teachers in our public schools.
Jeff began his legal career as a corporate and real estate associate with a large firm in Los Angeles. He also worked as a solo practitioner and with a boutique firm in Beverly Hills before leaving the full-time practice of law. Jeff has also owned a real estate company and sports agency and was the managing partner of a private investment fund. His diverse professional experience provides individuals and groups of partners with a fresh perspective on the wide range of options available to build and enjoy a fulfilling legal career.
Jeff's most recent articles and speaking engagements have primarily focused on the Mexico legal market but have also included a recent appearance on a panel with the leaders of several top AmLaw firms titled, "Free Agency Comes to the NY Legal Market", as well as an a June 2016 article discussing the heightened use of partner de-equitization by AmLaw 100 firms.
Jeff has assisted groups, individual partners and firms in some of the most high-profile placements of the past decade. Representative matters include:
- The merger into a global firm of an 80-lawyer local institution, creating Hogan Lovells's Mexico City office and establishing the firm as one of the dominant players on the ground in the market.
- The placement of more than a dozen attorneys in their transition from government service into law firm partnerships, including senior lawyers coming from the SDNY, EDNY, D-NJ, Main Justice, SEC, NY and NJ AG offices, as well as offices and agencies in other jurisdictions. In addition, placement of more than a dozen former AUSAs and others with significant leadership roles in moving from law firms into other law firms and private sector jobs.
- The placement in the US office of a global firm of a 10 lawyer patent litigation group led by the partners who at the time held the record for the largest jury damages award for a patent litigation. The transaction was listed by The American Lawyer as one of the year's top deals.
- The placement of a three partner team into the capital markets and securities practice group of a global firm.
- The placement of a five lawyer white collar/FCPA group into two separate offices of a global firm.
- The placement of a commercial and structured finance group that handled one of the highest profile restructuring matters of the decade.
- The merger of a 15 lawyer litigation boutique, creating the west coast office of a NY-based global firm.
- The placement of a six member entertainment industry-focused group with one of the most highly regarded practices in the country.
- The placement of a four partner group headed by the leaders of a renowned IP/patent boutique.
- The merger of a 23 lawyer, full-service firm in Mexico City into the previously small office of a global giant firm.
- The placement of several law firm and in-house lawyers into in-house legal departments, including three GC positions.
Jeff's placements have spanned North America, assisting multiple individuals and groups into new positions in New York, Washington D.C., New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Florida, California, Massachusetts, Georgia, Texas, Mexico, Colombia and Brazil. His transactions encompass a broad range of practice areas from asset management, finance, and securities, to bankruptcy, real estate, tax, energy, technology and projects. He has worked with individuals and groups of litigators with regulatory and investigations practices, both criminal and civil, and domestic and international, as well as IP, antitrust, securities, international arbitration and complex commercial disputes.
"Jeff has had a profound impact on the Mexico City legal market and his work has reshaped many firms. My partners and I value very much our relationship."
-- Michell Nader, Founding Partner of Nader, Hayaux & Goebel, 2014 Chambers and Partners "Mexico Law Firm of the Year"
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: J.D.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: B.A., Journalism, with high distinction
MFAN (Michigan Football Alumni Network
State Bar of California, Inactive
Major League Baseball Players' Association