Michael Sachs is a Partner in the Chicago office of Major, Lindsey & Africa. He specializes in placing attorneys at all levels—from junior counsel to general counsel—in corporate and university legal departments.
Mike is a frequent lecturer at law schools on the topic of career planning and development. He has also authored several articles concerning challenges and opportunities in corporate legal recruiting. Mike has written two screenplays and is an avid runner, tennis player and bowler.
Prior to joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, Mike was in-house media counsel for NBC Universal, where his primary responsibility was managing legal issues involving syndicated television talk shows. He also worked for more than seven years as a litigation and intellectual property associate at Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP, where he specialized in insurance coverage and insurance class action matters, trademark and media defense cases and numerous other types of commercial disputes.
Throughout his career, Mike has performed legal searches in numerous industries, including higher education, medical devices, healthcare, financial services, food & beverage, consumer products, manufacturing, insurance, hospitality and biotechnology. His recent placements have included:
- University of Michigan – Vice President & General Counsel
- Union Pacific, the Fortune 150 Omaha-based rail corporation – Executive Vice President & Chief Legal Officer
- Trustmark Companies, a Chicago-based health insurance company – Senior Vice President and General Counsel
- FTD Companies Inc., a Chicago-based floral product and services company – Executive Vice President and General Counsel
- OhioHealth Corporation, one of the largest health systems in the United States – Senior Vice President and General Counsel
As a member of the In-House Practice Group's Higher Education team, Mike also maintains a focus on universities and institutions of higher education. He has conducted senior-level searches for institutions such as:
- University of Michigan
- The Johns Hopkins University
- Columbia University
- Iowa State University
- University of Florida
University of Michigan: J.D.
University of Illinois: B.S., Broadcast Journalism
Symposium Editor, Journal of Law Reform
American Bar Association
Admitted to practice law in Illinois