Nancy Reiner, a Managing Director in our Boston office, focuses on in-house placements for public and private companies, non-profits and universities, both for general counsel and for other in-house counsel positions. She also develops business for our Solutions Practice Group, which provides highly qualified attorneys on an interim basis for companies and law firms. Nancy also places partners, partner groups and associates at law firms.
Nancy lives in Lexington, Mass., with her husband, Ilan, and their two dogs. Nancy has three young adult daughters and loves spending time with them. She also loves Spin, swimming, politics and reading.
Prior to joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, Nancy opened up and led the Boston office of Counsel On Call, as Executive Director from 2008 through 2011. She is also the founder and president of Green Pro Bono Inc., which matches pro bono attorneys with environmentally focused non-profits and social enterprises.
Previously, Nancy was a partner (and associate) at Brown Rudnick in Boston for 18 years and an associate at Goodwin Procter as well as at the former DiCara, Selig, Sawyer & Holt for six years. While at Brown Rudnick, Nancy litigated and managed several complex commercial, public interest and environmental cases. She initiated and litigated the Commonwealth of Massachusetts case against the tobacco manufacturers (Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Philip Morris, et al.), which resulted in an $8.3 billion settlement for the state, and led the discovery on behalf of the Commonwealth of 6 million+ documents in record setting time. She also initiated and worked on the City of Boston’s case against the gun manufacturers (City of Boston v. Smith & Wesson, et al.) and settled several precedent setting multimillion-dollar environmental insurance recovery cases. Nancy also litigated several other cutting-edge cases, including cases regarding environmental issues, mold damages, mercury injuries, lead paint poisoning and junk food marketing.
Nancy was founder and chair of Brown Rudnick's successful Incubator Group and Knowledge Management Initiative, an active member of Brown Rudnick's Pro Bono Committee, a board member of the Greater Boston Legal Services, an adjunct professor at Northeastern University School of Law for "Mediation in the Public Interest" and the co-chair and co-founder of the Massachusetts Bar Association's Eco-Challenge to make law firms more sustainable. She is currently a board member of the Public Health Advocacy Institute, Green Pro Bono Inc. and the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) as well as co-chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the Massachusetts chapter of the Federal Bar Association. Nancy co-founded Partners for African Community Center for Social Sustainability (ACCESS) and Dining for Darfur. She was a "Champion" for Building Bridges Legal/Medical Partnership at the Boston Medical Center, was recognized as a Boston "Super Lawyer" and is Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated.
Selective Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- "Brand Management in Social Media," National Asian-Pacific Association, Boston, Mass., October 4, 2015
- "Successful Transitions," The Women's Bar Association, Boston, Mass., April 29, 2015
- "Making the Most of What Is," Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston, Mass., March 18, 2014
- "Down to Business," Women in the Law 2012 Conference, Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Mass., May 11, 2012
- "What's in Store for 2012? One Lawyer's View of Industry Trends," Global Business Hub, The Boston Globe online, January 4, 2012
- "Tips for Lawyers in Transition," Massachusetts Bar Association, Boston, Mass., Jan. 14, 2009
- "Sustainability Tips for Law Firms," Todd & Weld, Boston, Mass., May 16, 2008
- "The Time has Come for Law Firms to Make a Pledge on Climate Change," Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyers Journal, Oct. 2007
- "Ideas for Energy Efficiency," Temple Isaiah, Lexington, Mass., Sept. 29, 2007
- "Greening the Office," Association of Legal Administrators, Boston, Mass., Feb. 7, 2007
- "A Legal Response to Gun Violence in Massachusetts," Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights, Boston Bar Association, Boston, Mass., Sept. 27, 2006
- "Tips for Avoiding Litigation," Downtown Women's Club, Boston, Mass., June 2, 2005
- "Business Development Best Practices: A Cross Industry Exploration," LawCorps, Boston, Mass., Summer 2002
- "Mold Litigation and Coverage Issues," Rental Housing Association, Greater Boston Real Estate Board, Boston, Mass., Sept. 2002
- Insurance Claims for Business Interruption Since September 11, New England Real Estate Journal, Sept. 2002
- "Massachusetts Tobacco Litigation and Settlement," Boston Bar Association, Environmental Litigation Committee, Boston, Mass., Jan. 1999
Nancy's most recent general counsel searches include:
- EF Education
- J. Jill
- Seton Hill University
- The Jackson Laboratory
Her university searches have included:
- Brown University
- Columbia University
- Harvard University
- Northeastern University
Her compliance searches have included:
- American Renal Associates
- Global Atlantic
- The Jackson Laboratory
Northeastern University School of Law: J.D.
Tufts University: B.A., magna cum laude
Mediation Works Inc.: Certificate of Executive Mediation Training
Boston Bar Association
Boston World Partnership, Connector
Green Pro Bono Inc., President and Board Member
Massachusetts Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association Law Firm Eco-Challenge, Energy and Environment Task Force, Co-Chair and Co-Founder
Massachusetts Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Environmental Law Committee, Co-Chair
National Sustainability Law Office Practices Subgroup, Member
The Public Health Advocacy Institute, Northeastern University School of Law, Board Member
The Women In Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF), International Advisory Board Member