Tanja studied law in Amsterdam at the University of Amsterdam where she qualified as a Dutch lawyer in 1997. After practicing as a commercial and litigation lawyer for seven years with one of the leading Dutch law firms, Houthoff Buruma, she joined Laurence Simons International in 2004 as a consultant in Amsterdam—the first office LSI had ever opened outside of the UK—and she focused on servicing and further developing the LSI in-house counsel client base across the mainland European region.
Tanja's most recent role at LSI was as the European managing director running a high-performing team of 12 individuals across offices in Amsterdam, Paris, Geneva and Milan. Tanja and her team had successfully placed lawyers in numerous countries including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. At the time of her departure, Tanja's European team were the undisputed in-house market leaders and the highest billing division within LSI globally operating an exclusive / retained business model.
As European managing director, Tanja sat on the LSI Global Management Team which, in addition to P&L responsibility, also involved her strategic input into the future direction of the business. She was one of the key business developers for LSI, regularly presenting and attending at regional and global legal conferences across Europe and in the USA, as well as hosting the LSI General Counsel Dinners in Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, Milan and Rome.
- Global General Counsel at NSN, now Nokia
- Global General Counsel at Leica (a Danaher Corporation), and numerous other Danaher businesses including General Counsel at Beckman Coulter, Radiometer, Tektronix, CCO at Damco (all part of the Danaher Corporation)
- EMEA General Counsel at Staples
- General Counsel Germany at Generali
- EMEA General Counsel at Sun Chemical
- General Counsel and Company Secretary at Euro Pool Group
- Global Compliance Officer at APM Terminals
- EMEA General Counsel at Hunter Douglas
In addition, she has completed numerous senior counsel placements across Europe for Nike, Sandoz, Mundipharma, Randstad, Ipsen, Vimpelcom, Thermo Fisher, Reckitt Benckiser, Jacobs Douwe Egberts, Cisco, Fedex, UCB, Galderma, Alcatel, Inter Ikea, Ball Packaging, Gilead and John Deere.