I am dedicated to facilitating search through a hands-on, relationship-driven, customized process for clients and candidates. I have a deep understanding of assessments, interviewing techniques, compensation, retention and market strategies, which I've honed over my 16+ years in executive search.
PJ Harari is a Partner in Southern California, where she has been since the inception of the Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego offices which she helped launch 16 years ago. In 2007, she became the firm's Co-Global Practice Leader for In-House, as part of the team overseeing the strategic development of the firm's corporate practice on a worldwide basis. Prior to this promotion, from January 2004–2007, she also headed the In-House Practice Group for Southern California, managing a team of eight recruiters and business developers. Today, PJ's practice is nationwide and focuses primarily on conducting senior/compliance and general counsel searches on behalf of emerging market to Fortune 100 corporate law departments across industries. In addition to personally handling all aspects of those searches including conducting candidate assessments, she assists clients with her expertise in compensation and retention strategies.
PJ, who was born and raised in New York City, has lived in the Manhattan/Hermosa Beach area of Southern California since 1987. She is fluent in French and has traveled extensively around the world, having visited more than 48 countries.
PJ practiced in the corporate department of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher's Los Angeles office and served on the Hiring Committee. In 1992, she co-founded the publishing company, First Base Sports Inc., which is still in existence, and wrote more than a dozen books about team sports.
Prior to joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, PJ established Kozmo.com's Los Angeles operations (in partnership with Amazon and Starbucks), where, as VP/general manager, she hired, trained and managed a staff of 600. Since leaving the practice of law, PJ has worked with a number of startup and technology firms, advising on areas such as marketing, operations, business development, strategy, leadership, HR and recruiting over the past 25 years.
Repeat clients include:
- Platinum Equity
- Public Storage
- Toyota Financial Services
- Ventura Foods
- Arrowhead Research
- Houlihan Lokey
- Entravision Communications
- ARAMARK Uniform
- Medtronic Diabetes
- Markwest Energy Partners
- Advantage Sales & Marketing
- NV Energy
Notable placements include:
- General Counsel of Smart & Final
- General Counsel of AECOM
- General Counsel of Allergan
- General Counsel of Arrowhead Research
- General Counsel of ITT Control Technologies
- General Counsel of PrimeSource (a Platinum Equity portfolio company)
- General Counsel of National Envelope (a Gores Group portfolio company)
- General Counsel of Citrix Online
- General Counsel of Houlihan Lokey
- General Counsel of Ventura Foods
- General Counsel of Alliance Imaging
- Senior Compliance Counsel at AECOM
- Director of Data Privacy of Ingram Micro
- November 4, 2009: Panelist, General Counsel Roundtable, hosted by Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, "Key Issues and Trends in Law Department Compensation and Talent Management"
- November 10, 2010: Panelist, General Counsel Roundtable, hosted by Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, "Key Issues and Trends in Law Department Compensation and Talent Management"
- March 10, 2011: Panelist, Orange County Intellectual Property (OCIP) Roundtable hosted by Latham & Watkins, "Current Compensation Trends in In-House Legal Departments"
- April 23, 2014: Panelist, "The Big Payback: A Candid Discussion of General Counsel Compensation Trends", sponsored by Skadden Arps
- May 22, 2014: Panelist, "Marketing Yourself & How to Work with Recruiters" – ACC SoCal Works, sponsored by Anaheim Angels
- June 3, 2014: Speaker, Navigating Career Paths, Inside Counsel Executive Leadership Conference
- November 13, 2014: Panelist, Women In-House Legal Leaders Workshop, hosted by Project 5/165 and Sheppard Mullin, "Critical Leadership Competencies for the Law Department Leaders of the Future"
- April 29, 2015: Panelist, Trio Webinar Series, presented by Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) and Seyfarth Shaw LLP, Operations and Strategy: "Do You Have What It Takes to Be General Counsel?"
- May 19, 2015: Moderator, Project 5/165, General Counsel Panel, presented by Inside Counsel and Sheppard Mullin, "Strategic Thinking"
- June 23, 2016: Panelist, "Getting What You Want: Strategies for Obtaining New Jobs, Promotions and Raises" ACC SoCal Works at The London West Hollywood
- July 13,2016: Panelist, Webinar presented by the Association of Corporate Counsel Health Law Committee Advocacy/Career Development (A/C) Series: “Career Advice: Managing Your Health Care/Life Sciences Career”
- October 4,2016: Panelist. Webinar presented by the Association of Corporate Counsel Real Estate and Finance Committees: “Career Advice: The Path to General Counsel and In the General Counsel Role”
University of Chicago School of Law: J.D.
Managing Editor and one of the Founders of Legal Forum
The Anderson School at UCLA (Graduate School of Management): M.B.A., Marketing and Entrepreneurship
1st place in the Venture Capital Competition (for the honor of representing UCLA at the National Moot Corp Competition in Austin, Texas)
L'Université Paris-Sorbonne: Certificate in French Language and Civilization
University of Rochester: B.A., Political Science, French and International Relations, magna cum laude
Elected Phi Beta Kappa
Grades of Green Docent
LiveWell Kids Nutrition Docent
Hermosa Valley PTO - Grade Level Coordinator
Sand Tots, Board Member