Lee Udelsman is the Managing Partner of our New York office and a leader in the firm's In-House Practice Group, where he focuses on recruitment and retention for in-house legal departments across the U.S. and internationally. Since joining the firm in 2005, Lee has consulted and partnered successfully with several hundred companies on matters ranging from benchmarking compensation for attorneys, to providing career counseling and coaching, to assisting with building high performance legal teams to support the business objectives of those companies. Lee also is a member of the firm's Life Sciences and Healthcare segment team, assisting all types of healthcare organizations recruit talent.
As one of the firm's most seasoned in-house recruiters, Lee executes searches quickly and thoroughly, identifying ideal candidates to match with his client's needs and desires. Lee also excels at communicating regularly and transparently with clients. These traits, together with a drive for excellence, have consistently made him one of the firm's top recruiters.
Before joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, Lee was a labor and employment lawyer and hiring partner for a prominent New Jersey law firm. In addition to his undergraduate and law degrees, Lee earned a Master of Laws from Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C.
He has written articles on the general counsel function titled "Successful General Counsel Succession Planning," and "Today's General Counsel Must Be a Jack of All Trades" that were published by The American Lawyer. He has also served on panels with the Association for Corporate Counsel and the American Bar Association and is frequently quoted in the press on issues pertaining to in-house counsel.
Lee has placed more than 35 general counsel at both public and private companies across a variety of industries; representative placements include:
- Nestle Waters North America
- Schindler Elevator Corporation
- Interpublic Group
- Samsung Electronics America
- ACE Limited (Chubb)
- C.R. Bard
- Princeton University
- New York Racing Association
- Panasonic Corporation of North America
- Tiffany & Co.
- McCormick & Company Inc.
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation
- University of Rochester Medical Center
Lee has made multiple placements and helped build the legal department at such companies as:
- Coty Inc.
- Harsco Corporation
- Mylan Inc.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings America Inc.
- Take-Two Interactive Software
- Church Pension Group
- Weight Watchers International Inc.
Representative clients include:
- ABM Industries Inc.
- Allergan, plc
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Banco Popular North America
- BMW North of America
- Carestream Health
- Catalent Pharma Solutions
- CLS Bank International
- Columbia University
- Computershare Investor Services
- ConMed Corporation
- Covance Inc.
- Crane Co.
- DJO Global
- Diligent Board Member Services
- DRS Technologies Inc.
- Dun & Bradstreet Inc.
- Eaton Vance Management
- EMCOR Group, Inc.
- Empire State Realty Trust
- Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc.
- Ferrero USA
- Frontier Communications
- GAF Materials Corporation
- GE Healthcare
- Gerber Life Insurance Company (Nestlé Nutrition)
- Glanbia Performance Nutrition
- Harvard Maintenance
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- International Specialty Products Inc. (Ashland Inc.)
- Maxum Petroleum
- Medidata Solutions
- MedImmune Inc. (Astra Zeneca)
- Midwood Investment & Development
- PPG Industries
- Public Broadcasting Service
- QBE Insurance
- Recording Industry Association of America
- Selective Insurance Group
- Skanska USA
- Smiths Group PLC
- Stanley Security Solutions (Stanley Black & Decker)
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Thor Industries Inc.
- The Carlyle Group
- Warnaco Group (Phillips Van Heusen)
- XL Capital Ltd
Georgetown University Law Center – Washington, D.C.: LLM
University of Baltimore Law School: J.D.
University of Maryland, College Park: B.A.