Lee Udelsman is the Managing Partner of our New Jersey office, formerly was Managing Partner of our New York office, and is a leader in the firm's In-House Practice Group where he focuses on recruitment and retention for in-house legal departments across the U.S. and internationally. Since joining the firm in 2005, Lee has consulted and partnered successfully with hundreds of companies on matters ranging from legal department metrics, including spend, compensation benchmarking and use of alternative legal resources, to building high performance legal teams to support the business objectives of those companies. Lee also is a member of the firm's Life Sciences and Healthcare segment team, helping all types of healthcare organizations recruit talent.
As one of the firm’s most seasoned in-house recruiters, Lee has extensive knowledge of the in-house legal market. His disciplined approach to executing searches enables him to make client and candidate matches that result in long-lasting placements. Lee places a premium on communicating regularly and transparently with his clients and candidates. These traits collectively inspire confidence in those who work with Lee, and have consistently made him one of the firm’s top recruiters.
Lee is frequently quoted in the press on key issues pertaining to in-house counsel, including most recently in the Financial Times (June 2017), Corporate Counsel (July 2017), CEO Update (August 2017), Corporate Counsel (February 2018) and Law.com (February 2018). He has written articles on the General Counsel function titled “Successful General Counsel Successional Planning,” and “Today’s General Counsel Must Be a Jack of All Trades” that have been published by the American Lawyer. He has also served on panels with the Association for Corporate Counsel and the American Bar Association. Before joining Major, Lindsey & Africa, Lee was a labor and employment lawyer for 15 years and the hiring partner for then a prominent New Jersey law firm.
Lee has placed more than 40 general counsel at both public and private companies across a variety of industries; representative placements include:
- Nestle Waters North America
- Schindler Elevator Corporation
- Interpublic Group
- Samsung Electronics America
- ACE Limited (Chubb)
- C.R. Bard
- Princeton University
- New York Racing Association
- Panasonic Corporation of North America
- Tiffany & Co.
- McCormick & Company Inc.
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey
- AmerisourceBergen Drug Corporation
- University of Rochester Medical Center
- Roivant Sciences
- Delphi Automotive/PowerTrain
- United States Golf Association
Lee has made multiple placements and helped build the legal department at such companies as:
- Coty Inc.
- Crane Co.
- Harsco Corporation
- Mylan Inc.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings America Inc.
- Take-Two Interactive Software
- Church Pension Group
- Weight Watchers International Inc.
Representative clients include:
- ABM Industries Inc.
- Allergan, plc
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Banco Popular North America
- Barnes Group
- BMW North of America
- Carestream Health
- Catalent Pharma Solutions
- CLS Bank International
- Columbia University
- Computershare Investor Services
- ConMed Corporation
- Consumer Reports
- Covance Inc.
- DJO Global
- Diligent Board Member Services
- DRS Technologies Inc.
- Dun & Bradstreet Inc.
- Eaton Vance Management
- EMCOR Group, Inc.
- Empire State Realty Trust
- Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc.
- Ferrero USA
- Frontier Communications
- GAF Materials Corporation
- GE Healthcare
- Gerber Life Insurance Company (Nestlé Nutrition)
- Glanbia Performance Nutrition
- Harvard Maintenance
- Lehigh Valley Health Network
- International Specialty Products Inc. (Ashland Inc.)
- Maxum Petroleum
- Medidata Solutions
- MedImmune Inc. (Astra Zeneca)
- Midwood Investment & Development
- PPG Industries
- Public Broadcasting Service
- QBE Insurance
- Recording Industry Association of America
- Selective Insurance Group
- Skanska USA
- Smiths Group PLC
- Stanley Security Solutions (Stanley Black & Decker)
- Stericycle Inc.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Thor Industries Inc.
- The Carlyle Group
- Versum Materials
- Warnaco Group (Phillips Van Heusen)
- XL Capital Ltd
Georgetown University Law Center – Washington, D.C.: LLM
University of Baltimore Law School: J.D.
University of Maryland, College Park: B.A.